Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Why Wayne Guy?


For many reasons. This even became the topic of my dad’s wedding toast to us and remains a favorite story of his. He will even answer the phone “Hello Mrs. Guy,” once in a while.

Why I chose him over the many other suitors that semester and even over the prior relationship from back home runs deeper than why he is referred to as Wayne Guy. Those reasons can be imagined, explained and obvious even, so lets go with the story of Wayne Guy…..

Around the time I was not coming home with the Holdrege/Minden/North Platte carpool every weekend my parents began to wonder, (while really I am sure they were doing backflips as they had tried many things over the years to encourage staying away from my prior relationship). They had been there for multiple attempts at breaking up with the last guy who just kept showing up when he found out I was in town and had prayed for someone new to come along. They were less than subtle in showing their sincerest gratitude of this when I called home one night and talked to my dad about this Wayne Guy.

I told my dad of this guy who’d been hanging out with the girls and I. I explained how he was from Hot Springs, SD and was in the class of 2000. He was of course going to be a teacher, but in math (dad’s major once upon a time). Finally dad asked well what’s this Wayne guy’s last name?

“uuuuuuh……”

I honestly couldn’t say it. I knew it, I had heard it and seen it in writing, but I just couldn’t say it. There were so many ways to pronounce it and while I didn’t want to be wrong, I had also gone over every possible pronunciation in my head, phonetically and otherwise until they all ran together into an indecipherable mess.

I told my dad as much with a couple attempts that ended in blablablablah. I gave up and said, “just Wayne Guy.”

Turns out it is pretty phonetic. Ton Saw Grrrrrrr  J

And so you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment